Wednesday, May 15, 2013

17. Disappointment

I have been showing only successful garments till now. But not everything turns out to my liking. Like this blouse. Heavens above! I look like my own granny! (Just as grumpy and no make-up, tee-hee.)


 I fell in love with a pretty blouse pattern in a recent Burda magazine (4/2013 #119), found a lovely fabric for it:


 measured, traced, reinforced, sewed, finished ... you know, the whole shpiel.


Just to find out that I grossly misjudged my shape and my coloring and the result is both ill-fitting and blah. Material is rayon, so it won't even take dye it very well.

Lesson learned? Maybe none. I still like the fabric and would like to reuse it, but maybe best in combination with some dark fabrics.
Or would you have any other creative ideas?

On another note, you may have noticed that I now have an Etsy storefront. Go visit it if you are in search of vintage sewing materials, fabrics by the yard or cut pieces, ribbons and notions, wool yarn and other undefined goodies. Mostly vintage Austrian, the way I like to mix things, sweet Alpine, classic and retro at the same time.

linking with:
me-made-Mittwoch
Mix-it

8 comments:

  1. Hallo!
    Die Bluse ist sehr schön.Steht dir wunderbar mit dem Rock.
    Herzliche Grüße Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Die Bluse gefällt mir sehr , auch der Rock - eine schöne Kombination !
    Liebe Grüße von carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liebe Juli,
    die Bluse ist wunderschön, das kleine Krawattenmuster und die Wickeloptik. Ich kann aber auch sehen, warum sie Dir so nicht gefällt, obwohl der Rock dazu passt. Ich brauche manchmal auch mehrere Anläufe, bis ich das für mich passende Kombiteil finde. Da du gefragt hast: ich würde dazu eine schwarze unten enge 7/8-Hose oder eine schwarz gestreifte oder kleinkarierte Capri-Hose tragen und am Hals eine schmale Kette oder eine Vintage-Brosche am Ausschnitt.
    Lieben Gruss von Sabine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interessante Vorschläge, die gefallen mir gut. Ich werde jetzt nach einer Capri-Hose Umschau halten und dann nochmals probieren. Denn ich war wirklich entttäuscht.

      Delete
  4. What a shame to put in all that work and end up with something that you aren't happy with. What about wearing a waistcoat (vest) over it? Then you would still have the pretty pattern showing, but it would cover up the part that doesn't fit properly.
    You've got lovely vintage items in your shop.
    I don't know if you're on Facebook, but I posted a video on my blog's Facebook page that I think will be of interest to you. Here's the link to the video: http://youtu.be/91hysO_suRo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is the openness more than anything else. Tight at the arms, gaping at the chest... it will get too complicated to wear. Unless I come across some divide tank top with a high front.
      The youtube link you gave did not work, even when I omitted the dot in the word. Is there another link?

      Delete